Kenneth Stephens Jr. is a founding partner of Stephens Reed & Armstrong, PLLC and concentrates much of his practice on helping general contractors in construction litigation, construction contracts and construction advisory work.
Kenneth has spent the better part of his legal career representing contractors, and business owners in commercial and public projects. He has been involved in the negotiation of contracts for the development of hotels, medical facilities, franchises, schools and more. He has assessed project risks through post execution contract review, and regularly litigates and arbitrated a number of construction disputes.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation & Disputes
- Construction Litigation and Transactions
- Outside General Counsel
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Defended a general contractor in federal court against a subcontractor that alleged fraud and racketeering under the federal RICO statute while claiming damages in excess of $1,000,000.00. The case was successfully dismissed on a Rule 12(b)(6) motion in less than six months.
- Set aside a 1.5 million dollar federal judgment against a general contractor and successfully resolved the case.
- Represented a general contractor in the successful removal over $100,000 in subcontractor liens through litigation.
- Represented a general contractor in the successful resolution of a 1.2 million dollar subcontractor dispute involving defective performance and non-payment.
- Represented a general contractor in 1.7 million dollar defect case resulting in the owner dropping all claims and the contractor paying nothing.
- Negotiated development of a 15 million dollar hotel.
- Advised on development of a 50 million dollar university project.
- Drafted contract on 4 million dollar medical building
- Texas Southern University – Bachelor of Business Administration in Management
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law - Juris Doctor
Professional Licenses and Admissions
State Bar of Texas
United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
United States District Courts for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- Texas Bar Construction Law Section
- Houston Bar Association Construction Law Section
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- National Association of Minority Contractors
- Greater Houston Builder’s Association
- Texas Builder’s Association
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.
Kenneth has always had a passion for business and entrepreneurship. He is the currently the owner of Stephens Holdings Ltd. and regularly invests in new startups. He also enjoys helping new entrepreneurs grow their businesses. When Kenneth is not practicing law or helping business owners, he is likely enjoying time with his family.